Looking for a Lead Ice Cream Maker!
Welcome! Maybe you’re here because you saw our video! Or maybe you heard about this position from a friend, or maybe you saw one of the posted links!
No matter how you got here, we’re so glad you’re here! We make ice cream with joy by working together, committed to quality, and with respect for each other. We create flavours for vegan ice cream and dairy ice cream with inclusions made from scratch, including jams, brownies, cookies, and candy. We are looking for a chef to join our team full-time.
We are looking for someone with ice cream or pastry chef experience. We have three trucks, and one shop and work with restaurants and food shops in Ottawa to supply them with dairy and vegan ice cream made in a nut-free environment!
What is the position? It’s what you make it. Here are its roles and responsibilities:\
- Manage and ensure all cakes and ice creams are prepared according to Merry Dairy standards
- Keeping on top of new trends
- Assist in developing new and innovative recipes for cakes, ice creams, to sell in our shop and to wholesale customers
- Assist in training new team members to make and prepare recipes
- Recipe testing, development and re-testing
- Working on collaborations with other people and businesses
- Kitchen organization and maintenance including stock control and waste management
- Assist in creating and following a structured production schedule
- Evaluate kitchen practices and improve productivity
What’s important to the position?
- A passion for food and an appreciation for food science
- Organization skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential as you will be working with others.
- Creativity and the ability to innovate are essential
- Understanding the box, and then thinking outside the box
- High attention to detail especially in terms of cleanliness and management of inventory
- High knowledge of allergens, ingredients, and food hygiene practices
- Being able to work well with a team as well as independently
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about doing the best job possible
2-3 years experience in making small-batch ice cream or working in a bakery as a pastry chef is preferred, but candidates with 1-2 years will also be considered if you have professional training
Yes, there is some heavy lifting
A certificate in Food Handling is essential
What are the hours and salary?
- 37.5 hour week
- 2 days off in a row
- 3 weeks of paid vacation
- Opportunity for paid professional development training
- Salary 40 to 45k depending on experience. It’s less than government, but sooo much more fun!